You are hereHome › College of Arts, Social Sciences & Humanities (CASSH) › Division of Anthropology and Archaeology › Worth, John › San Joseph de Escambe Style APAChicagoHarvardIEEEMLATurabian Choose the citation style. Worth, J. E., Harris, N. J., & Melcher, J. (2001). San Joseph de Escambe: A 18th-century Apalachee mission in the West Florida borderlands. Conference of the Society for Historical Archaeology, Austin, Texas, 8 January 2011. Download PDF San Joseph de Escambe Details Type Conference Paper Title San Joseph de Escambe: A 18th-century Apalachee mission in the West Florida borderlands Contributor(s) Worth, John E. (author)Harris, Norma J. (author)Melcher, Jennifer (author) Located In Conference of the Society for Historical Archaeology, Austin, Texas, 8 January 2011 Date January 8, 2001 Abstract In 2009, documentary evidence and archaeological testing led to the discovery of the archaeological site of Mission San Joseph de Escambe (c1741-1761) along the Escambia River north of Pensacola. Home to Apalachee Indians and resident Spanish friars and soldiers, the mission’s excavated material culture clearly reflects the multi-ethnic nature of this late mission community, and is comparable to contemporaneous assemblages from Presidios Isla de Santa Rosa (1722-1756) and San Miguel (1756-1763). Of particular note is the aboriginal ceramic assemblage, which displays characteristics reflecting the origins of the resident Apalachee as refugees formerly living in Creek Indian territory before 1718. Archaeological excavations conducted by the University of West Florida during the 2009 and 2010 summer field schools have also produced evidence for several undisturbed wall trench structures, including what may be Spanish cavalry barracks constructed in 1760, as well as multiple overlapping structures under a prepared clay cap.